Sunday, July 25, 2004
I went shopping with my mother yesterday. We went to Southern Homes and Gardens to check out the Christmas in July sale. We did find some snowflakes we want to use as decorations and a couple of small trees we can use at the front of the stage to decorate with lights. We also went to David's Bridal where Mom purchased a tiara, gloves, stockings, and ballerina slippers for Katelyn, my flower girl. We continued to look at veils and such for my dress. Still haven't settled on anything particular. I did see a veil I really liked, but it was in white and I need ivory. I think we're gonna look at A Touch of Class in Wetumpka before we buy anything.
Friday, July 23, 2004
I am having a terrible time deciding what kind of flowers I want the bridesmaids to carry. I know I want fresh, hand held flowers; but I can't decide exactly what. The girls are wearing a dark red color. The church has red carpet. I think I would like to see them with dark red, pinks, and whites mixed together. I think stargazer lilies would be beautiful, but I'm not sure how expensive they would be. I would love them to hold just the plain roses wrapped in ribbon, too. I think that pink and a few white poinsettas would be beautiful in the church. Does this sound crazy? Should I just stick with the pink poinsettas? I think the red poinsettas are too bright for the bridesmaids dresses. I'm open to suggestions.
Wednesday, July 21, 2004
Yippee! We finally have confirmation on the church. Kevin talked to Rev. Al at the church today. We will be able to have the wedding at Millbrook Presbyterian Church. We will meet with him Monday afternoon to discuss the details and fees....another check on our list. Things are starting to come together for us.
Well, here we are...five months away from the big day, December 18, 2004. I'm so excited! I can't wait to be the next Mrs. Riley. When we set the date, it seemed so far away. Now I think about all there is to do and I wonder if there is enough time. As Kevin would say, we've got a lot of checks:
- I have found and ordered my wedding gown. It's ivory....a great big thank you to my friend Robin Harp who went with me and forced me to try on countless dresses, some I even hated, until we found the right one. It turned out to be the 3rd dress I tried on at the first stop.
- My bridesmaids will be my little sis Amanda, high school friend Joannie Garner, teacher friend Robin Harp, and partner in crime girlfriend Carolyn Ford. The flower girl is my 4-year-old adorable curly headed niece, Katelyn Mitchell.
- I found the bridesmaids dresses at David's Bridal. They're very feminine. I chose apple for the color. It's a deep red color, appropriate for the season. Katelyn will wear an ivory colored dress like me, complete with tiara, gloves and ballerina slippers, of course.
- Kevin has chosen his groomsmen, brothers Tim and Mike Riley, good buddies Kevin Egan and Joey Morris. The ring bearer is my handsome 7-year-old nephew, Christian Mitchell.
- The tuxedos are standard without tails and will come from Afterthoughts. Kevin will wear a platinum 4-hand tie and vest. All the other men and ring bearer will wear apple ties and vests.
- We found a cake lady. Diane will make the bride's cake and the groom's cake. You'll have to come to the reception if you want to see it. It's definitely worth the calories!
- We found a church we like and are just waiting to hear from the minister of the church. He had to petition the church elders for permission. This seems to be taking longer than we expected it would.
- We found a reception place we think we like. We've scheduled a meeting to discuss the details on Monday afternoon. We'll know more then. I've discovered it's not easy finding a place in December, especially one that will allow you to serve champagne. Cross your fingers and pray for us.
- We have a minister, Ron Prevatte of First Baptist Church in Prattville. I taught his two youngest sons and feel very close to him. I'm honored he's agreed to perform our ceremony. We begin meeting with him Tuesday afternoon.
- We have registered at Dillard's and Bed, Bath, and Beyond.