Thursday, July 01, 2010

Halfway there!

Kevin took me to chemo Monday. It was a really busy work day for him. I don't know how he does it all, but he does...and with a smile.  Jerri and Jill were there with a smile as well. I was so excited to tell them my good news about ten of the eleven spots on my lungs being gone. It was so busy in the chemo room that there was an additional oncology nurse from one of the other West Clinics there to help.

When I entered the chemo room, I selected what I thought would be a nice quiet place away from distractions, and it was until...An older couple came in to visit with one of their chemo buddies. They talked and talked and talked, even pulled chairs up to visit. I don't know why this bothered me so much. When Kevin came in from one of his work phone calls, he didn't even have room to sit with me. By this time there was another chair open across the room. So, we moved. After our relocation, it was rather amusing to see my old "chair buddy's" face. I think he was just as annoyed by the couple. He kept looking past them as they rambled on. Poor guy!

Monday was a relatively easy day for me, Cisplatin and Adrimycin Day. Mom came from Alabama to help with Jack, and I was able to eat her home-cooked dinner with the family. She brought fresh peas from the garden. YUM! After dinner I went to bed. Mom went with me to talk. Luz Andrea called on the telephone! That made my day! I was SO excited to hear from her. I miss her. She wanted to know exactly what was going on in the house, as if she were here to feel it. I can't wait til the day we get to see her again.

Tuesday was still crowded at the clinic, but not as bad as Monday. I never have to wait very long. Mom went with me while Kevin stayed home to get some work done. Tuesday is Taxol Day. It's a little more difficult. I think it's because I already have the the other two toxins in my body doing their thing before we add yet a third. We have to start the Taxol slowly to avoid reactions. I had a reaction for the first time Tuesday. It was really weird. All the muscles in my torso started to contract at one time, I guess it's like birth contractions only in my stomach and mid-section...really weird. In the South, when you have a sudden shiver, we say, "A rabbit ran over your grave." That's what it was, only more intense. Not painful, just aggravating. I told Jill and she stopped the Taxol for about five minutes before resuming. I didn't have trouble after that. Taxol does cause some neuropathy.

I wore my short wig to the clinic on Tuesday. I knew I would feel cold, Taxol days are always cold for me. One gentleman recognized me with it and commented how much he liked my hair...about three different times. He was a nice man, very pleasant. We talked quietly with a couple ladies across the room from Tupelo. In the meantime, Jerri was taking care of this very stubborn, old man across the room. His son was with him. He actually had the nerve to tell Jerri that the son wasn't worth a d$#@. Jerri told him at least her was here with him. It made us sad to hear the old man talk about his son the way he did. The son never said a word. Usually the wife is with the old guy. Jerri says they argue. Well, the whole room stopped when the man was talking with Jerri. He made a comment about seeing her again next time. Jerri put her hands on her hips and said, "Well, honey I just can't wait!" Picture Alice from the diner saying this in a sarcastic way. I've never seen Jerri get her feathers ruffled so. Pretty funny.

I was so tired by Tuesday evening I came home and went straight to bed. I had a great nap. When I woke, mom was in my room doing laundry. I asked her what time it was and she said it was a "quarter to eight." I was thinking that I had woken just in time to get to the clinic. I assumed I had slept all night. I wondered why she was wearing the same pink shirt. Then I could see Kevin and Jack playing in the backyard and realized it was still Tuesday. They had already eaten dinner. So, I ate mine in the living room while watching television. I was pretty washed out afterward, so I just went back to bed.

Wednesday is Neulasta day.  That's where I get a $9000.00 shot to raise my white cell count to fight infection. This time Mom and Jack went with me. It's just a short visit since I only get a shot, and all the ladies at the clinic have been dying to meet Jack. He was well behaved, shook hands, said the Pledge of Allegiance, the whole thing. Then, he and mom went back to the waiting room. Kids aren't allowed in the chemo room.

We were home in time for lunch. By the afternoon I was feeling pretty crummy. I wasn't nauseous, I couldn't stay out of the bathroom. Exhausting! Kevin had to reschedule my MRI. Mom went home. Grandma Joyce came to take Jack out to the mall to burn some energy. They had a great time, except for one little "rice" meltdown when Grandma got his rice from the wrong store in the mall. While they were gone, Binky brought some information by the house about a cancer diet/ regimen. Then my sweet neighbor and bunco buddy, Rhonda, brought dinner for the family; poppy seed chicken, carrots, garlic bread, and peanut butter cookies. So yummy! Jack even liked it! It sure made things a lot easier for Kevin. Thanks ladies!

The sweetest part of the week was Tuesday afternoon when Jack was helping Kevin water the plants outside. There is an Eastern Redbud in our front flowerbed that shades the dining room. Jack noticed that it has heart-shaped leaves on it. He said, "Daddy, that tree has heart leaves on it for mommy. It's to help mommy's cancer go away so she'll feel better." What a sweet thing to say! He's really thinking about this cancer thing as much as he can from his 4 year old The sweetest part of the week was Tuesday afternoon when Jack was helping Kevin water the plants outside. There is an Eastern Redbud in our front flowerbed that shades the dining room. Jack noticed that it has heart-shaped leaves on it. He said, "Daddy, that tree has heart leaves on it for mommy. It's to help mommy's cancer go away so she'll feel better." What a sweet thing to say! He's really thinking about this cancer thing as much as he can from his 4 year old perspective. I love my little man...and my big one, too!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm so glad you're being so well taken care of! (And I LOVE those Southern sayings!) :)

Kim & I spent the evening together at a cub scout event - talking the whole time. She'd like us to plan to all get together Saturday night after graduation, if you feel up to it. (Evening, so you can take a nap in the afternoon.) She really wants to meet you!

Love you! See you soon!

~Cindy said...

I'd love to do that! Sounds like a plan. I should be up to my best. Chemo #5 is the following Monday. :)

Can't wait!