Friday, July 09, 2010

MRI results

I've been coughing and dealing with allergy pressure and headache since Wednesday. I think I finally took the right combination of meds today. I was able to get a prescription cough suppressant that really made the difference. That, combined with some much needed rest has made all the difference. I'm still coughing, but not with every breath.

We finally heard from Dr. Reed's nurse this morning regarding my MRI. The news is good I think. There are no tumors or indication that cancer has spread to my brain, which is what we were hoping for. The MRI was to rule that out. What the MRI did show is in indication that I have Empty Sella Syndrome. In other words, my pituitary gland is flat, likely from spinal fluid leaking into the membrane around it. The pressure is what I feel when I have awful headaches. They are so bad at times I feel like I can't function. ESS isn't life threatening, but it is recognized as a rare congenital disease, very rare. It can also be cause by injury. Dr. Reed is sending me to an endocrinologist. I suppose we'll find out if my pituitary gland is working properly. It controls adrenal glands, thyroid, and several other things. That's all I really know for now.

No comments: